Thursday, July 28, 2011

Swing!

Heard a swingtime band last night,
Performing in the park.
Their music floated in the air
Until the sky turned dark.

They played the tunes made famous by
Glen Miller and Count Basie;
And people tapped their feet or danced
From Chapin* up to Gracie.**

Duke Ellington and Tommy Dorsey
Both were represented.
The audience, from young to old,
All smiled and seemed contented.

Two couples started dancing,
One of which was really great.
They had their moves down pat, so smooth;
Such joy they did create.

For though they sure were having fun,
Their faces lit with glee,
Their swinging mesmerized observers,
One of whom was me.

I wish I knew those moves they nailed,
So effortless and sure;
Instead, I tapped my feet and swayed
To rhythms crisp and pure.

It was a lovely evening out,
An unexpected treat;
And only if I knew those moves,
Could it have been more sweet.

*private school  **Gracie Mansion

No comments:

Post a Comment