Saturday, July 2, 2011

Memorized

At one time, poems were memorized -
Required, when in school.
The teachers thought that somehow
This would prove a useful tool.

We stood in front of classmates
When our time came to recite.
The expectation was, of course,
That each word would be right.

I'll bet that most folks from those days
Can still recite their poem.
It somehow lodged inside our brains
And made itself at home.

My poem was "Trees" by Kilmer;
Think of it - a man named Joyce!
I recited at assembly
In a loud but shaky voice.

I presented with a partner,
Each of us assigned a half;
But Sidney said he'd start it off,
Which now can make me laugh.

But at the time, I was so mad!
My final lines, you see,
Involved me saying, "Poems are made
By fools" (big pause) "like me!"

The whole sixth grade cracked up, I'm sure.
My face was red, I know it;
But isn't it ironic that
I've turned into a poet?

As far as being thought a fool,
It may be that is so,
But I can blame that poem
I memorized so long ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment