Monday, June 13, 2011

Seeing Pompeii

We've all heard of Vesuvius
And how it blew its stack.
The people of Pompeii
Were unprepared for the attack.


We've read the history books
And pictured how it all went down;
But finally today, I got to
Walk around that town.


I saw the forum and the stores,
The bakery and bath;
I planted my feet in the ruts
Where chariots cut a path.


I stepped into the brothel rooms
With beds made out of stone;
And saw the people's houses,
Visualizing what they'd own.


Of course the most amazing thing
Was seeing bodies, frozen
Into the most protective pose
That each of them had chosen.


On one man's face, his agony
Was plain as day to see,
He never realized that he would
Be part of history.


Vesuvius remains alive;
It's bound to blow again.
The experts cannot say for sure
And folks all wonder - when?


I hope next time they're more prepared
And no one has to die;
But I am glad I walked the streets
Where Pompeii used to lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment