Saturday, June 18, 2011

Blue Ceramic

The last day of vacation,
I hadn't bought a thing -
Not one small item for myself
Or gifts I had to bring.


A final stroll throughout the town
And something caught my eye -
A gorgeous blue ceramic fish;
I couldn't pass him by.


He wasn't like the tons of other
Pottery I'd spotted.
His face was very introspective
And I was besotted.


The price was high - I walked away
But later, I walked back.
I saw the owner take him down
And thought my heart would crack.


But no, he wasn't being sold;
It was a mid-day break.
The store was set to close
Yet I could make up my mistake.


I raced inside, the owner smiled
And so I got my wish;
He dropped the price and bubble-wrapped
My blue ceramic fish.


I can't wait 'til I get him home -
He's art and souvenir;
And he'll remind me of the
Lovely time that I've had here.


(written in Maoiri, Italy)

No comments:

Post a Comment