Monday, May 2, 2011

The Devil

The Devil’s dead, or so they say;
Most people will rejoice.
He represented evil
In his face, his words, his voice.

He’s taunted us for many years
While holed up in his cave.
So many prayed that very soon
He’d rot inside his grave.

They got their wish – Bin Laden’s dead;
But while I watched the cheering,
Disturbing memories from the past
Kept in my mind appearing.

I saw those jeering Muslims
In a raucous celebration
As we grappled with the knowledge
That our grief caused their elation.

Now our citizens are clapping
‘Cause their leader has been killed.
Believe me, I am quite relieved
His horrid heart’s been stilled.

Yet singing in the streets about it
Seems a bit unnerving;
Since we’re the good guys, we must try
To prove that we’re deserving.

No comments:

Post a Comment