Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tony's

To construct a brand new subway,
New York City had to claim
Tony’s restaurant’s location,
And it really is a shame.

For so many years I’ve dined there;
Always had a special meal.
Now it’s closed and when I pass it,
It feels more than just unreal.

No more perfect calamari,
Penne drenched in vodka sauce;
Oh, the broccoli, oil and garlic –
I am aching from the loss.

It was welcoming and cozy,
Always crowded and abuzz;
When we had a celebration,
Tony’s would be where it was.

Though they have a west side version
And I’m sure the food’s as good,
I had comfort and convenience
In my east side neighborhood.

Maybe someday they’ll reopen
If they find another space;
But until that time, no restaurant
Will ever take their place.

The city’s like a bully,
Pleading eminent domain;
But losing Tony’s we have lost
Much more than we will gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment