Friday, January 7, 2011

Avoiding the Closets

Sometimes on a nasty day
With heavy rain or snow,
I choose to stay indoors if there is
No place I must go.

I’ll read and do the crossword,
Answer e-mails, read some more;
I’ll nosh or watch TV, all to
Avoid a certain chore.

It’s cleaning out the closets!
Just the thought gives me the chills.
There’s so much there to sort through,
Each one’s stuffed right to the gills.

The clothing that I haven’t worn
For over twenty years;
The files and paperwork that’s left
From previous careers.

The sheets and towels that I saved
For reasons sentimental;
The knickknacks, toys and 45’s
I once thought instrumental.

The empty boxes I held onto
Just in case I’d need them;
The books I kept from college,
Though I never plan to read them.

Today’s the day for closet cleaning –
I should just embrace it;
But first I’ll read a little more,
‘Cause I don’t want to face it.

And then I’ll take a little break
And maybe phone a friend.
My closets will remain untouched –
On that you can depend!

No comments:

Post a Comment