Saturday, April 3, 2010

Getting the Mail

I cannot wait to get the mail.
It feels like a surprise;
Though often there’s not very much
To really tantalize.

Of course, there’s junk and there are bills
And catalogues galore.
But once in a great while
There might be a little more.

Perhaps I’ll find an answer
To a query I had written,
Or there will be the package
With whatever had me smitten.

There may be photographs
Or cards that play a little tune,
And birthdays are occasions
When the card can’t come too soon.

Today’s my birthday and I hope
The mail will have me claim
A slew of birthday wishes;
E-cards aren’t quite the same.

I love to see who’s thought of me,
And then I will display
The lovely greetings I receive
To celebrate my day.

To everyone who took the time
To get those wishes sent,
I’m really so appreciative;
Your effort was well-spent.

If you forgot or had no
Energy you could exert,
I will be disappointed
And I guess a little hurt.

But here’s the greatest thing of all,
The reason I love mail:
Tomorrow there’s another chance
That treasure I’ll unveil.

Perhaps it will be nothing more
Than mail recirculated;
But possibly, I’ll come upon
Some birthday cards, belated.

No comments:

Post a Comment