Monday, April 12, 2010

Enticing

A store sent me a coupon;
It really was enticing.
A lesser dollar value
Would still have been sufficing.

I went and paid a visit,
And ambled up each aisle;
Thinking of my coupon,
I couldn’t help but smile.

Like getting something gratis,
I felt I’d won a prize;
I didn’t understand why they
Just didn’t advertise.

Instead they mailed a freebie
And lured me to the store;
I guess they hoped that folks like me
Would purchase so much more.

But I spent close to what they gave;
I didn’t really splurge.
I stayed within the lines and let
My spendthrift ways submerge.

The store did lose its gamble
On me, one lone consumer,
But even now they probably think
I might be a late bloomer.

But they’d be wrong – I’ll spend enough
Whenever I am needy;
But dangle bait my way
And I’ll be cautious, never greedy.

I don’t know if I’m typical,
But merchants, pay attention:
If you think you’ll get rich this way,
That’s a misapprehension!

No comments:

Post a Comment