Friday, April 9, 2010

Blew It

Last night I had a chance to shine;
Instead, I really blew it.
I’d practiced time and time again
And hoped I’d breeze right through it.

I’d written all the words myself
And had them memorized,
So when I drew a blank on stage,
I really was surprised.

I’m not all that experienced
With this type of performing.
I should have improvised, but really
No ideas were swarming.

Instead, I helplessly sang out,
The piano player playing,
“My lyrics I’ve forgotten!”
All my nervousness displaying.

The audience applauded
Even though I came up short;
I really did appreciate
Their comforting support.

My colleagues tried to buoy me up
With praises, for my sake.
I knew that they were much relieved
It wasn’t their mistake.

But though their words were so sincere,
With real encouragement,
I was so mortified their kindness
Barely made a dent.

Yet still, I’ll hold my head up high –
I tried to give my all;
At least there was one positive –
The audience was small!

No comments:

Post a Comment