Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Air Fives

A fifth grade boy I met last week
On a museum tour
Asked me for a favor
I had never heard before.

He said, “I need an air five,”
And I knew just what he meant.
Maybe high fives spread the germs
That air fives would prevent.

I gave him what he asked for;
Said his goal was twenty-five.
I knew by his demeanor
At that number he’d arrive.

He had the spark and sizzle,
Dimpled cheeks and curly hair;
His classmates flocked around
And tried to emulate his flair.

“Have all your pals air-fived you?”
I inquired of my new friend.
“It must be people I don’t know!”
Did I not comprehend?

I smiled at the reminder
Of how youth knows not from danger;
So much is there to gain from just
The air five of a stranger.

How wonderful to be that age
When you have yet to learn
That getting twenty-five air fives
Is not your chief concern.

Yet what a joy to sail along
When your most pressing need
Can easily be satisfied –
You know you can succeed.

I hope that feeling will remain
Within this boy, alive;
And may his years ahead be filled
With many an air five.

No comments:

Post a Comment