Thursday, February 18, 2010

Spending

I know people who won’t shop
Unless it’s at Whole Foods;
They’ll indulge in gourmet fare
Depending on their moods.

To me this is outrageous, ‘cause
Their prices are so steep;
I’ll stop in there from time to time –
You may think that I’m cheap,

But mostly it’s my way of life:
Pay less if you have choices.
It’s hard ignoring such advice
From age-old inner voices.

When I eat in a restaurant,
I’ll choose, aware of prices;
Being quite extravagant
Is not one of my vices.

Yet there are certain things I’ll buy
No matter what they cost,
Which some might find quite frivolous,
As though my mind were lost.

It might be funky earrings
Or a whirligig of wood;
We each have things we purchase
Just to make ourselves feel good.

Perhaps you treat yourself to sheets
With top-notch silk and thread;
I’d rather buy four cheaper sets
To grace my bed instead.

And maybe you must drive a car
Of German sleek design;
I’m content with four-wheel drive
That gets me ‘round just fine.

Or else you may think you deserve
Fine wines from certain years;
I’ll drink any vintage, but
I’ll splurge on small-brew beers.

It’s very individual,
The way our money’s spent.
A shrink could have a party
Analyzing what it meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment