Friday, February 12, 2010

Prayer

Someone said she’d pray for me,
But I just said, “No thanks!”
To me, that is equivalent to
A person shooting blanks.

I know she meant well and she thinks
Her prayers will get an answer,
But what about the earthquake dead
Or people filled with cancer?

How come their prayers went unheard?
Why were they not saved?
Surely every victim didn’t
Live a life depraved.

How about the multitudes
Who starve or get attacked?
Certainly it wasn’t just some praying
That they lacked.

If anyone finds comfort
When they close their eyes and pray,
Good for them! I hope that
All their problems go away.

But I do not believe and so
The offer won’t impress me;
Wish me well, but do not wish
For anyone to bless me.

It’s a touchy subject and
Most folks I might repel;
It’s okay because I also
Don’t believe in hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment