Thursday, January 13, 2022

In My Linen Closet

In my linen closet

There are sheets that go way back.

In going through them, I have made

A quite imposing stack:

 

The brown and orange flowered ones

Of hippie-ish décor;

My husband’s, used to cover

His old mattress on the floor.

 

Our first set as a couple,

With bamboo boughs, colored peach

And all the rest on shelves I need

A ladder just to reach.

 

My kids’ twin-sized cartoony ones

Or those with baseball themes;

The extra-long sheets for the dorm

Which held some college dreams.

 

It’s finally time to winnow down

All those we haven’t used

In many years and which to ditch

I’ve up ‘til now refused.

 

I’d heard the ASPCA

Accepts old sheets and such

So they will find another home –

I will not miss them much.

 

Yet still, I’m sad to see them go

But I won’t be too vexed

Because I’ll have to face the fact

The towels will be next!

No comments:

Post a Comment