Sunday, November 20, 2011

Past Forward

I packed my plaid valise
For a journey from the past.
I didn’t know exactly
Just how long my trip would last.

On my feet were comfy saddles,
On my neck my favorite dickey.
I was thirsty so I bought myself
A tall and cool lime rickey.

Though I’d miss my new Victrola,
My transistor was along.
I could listen to the Good Guys
When they played my favorite song.

On the bus ride to the subway,
As my driver gave me change,
I saw he was chewing Sen-Sen
And I thought it kind of strange.

Near the subway I got pizza
At the special lunchtime price –
Just a quarter for a soda
And a dripping-oil slice.

Then I used a dime and nickel,
Got my token for the train;
Caught my stockings on the wicker seats-
Man, is that a pain!

As I started my excursion,
Leaving all I knew behind,
I was filled with awe and wonder
At the future that I’d find.

But a tiny nagging feeling
Made me question my whole trip,
For there might be certain changes
That could make me lose my grip.

Then I settled in, deciding
I would simply wait and see.
After all, it’s just the future,
And how different could it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment