Saturday, November 26, 2011

Half-Price

With Thanksgiving one day over,
I was shopping in a store;
Had to fill up on some groceries,
A necessary chore.


I was looking for some muffins
Or perhaps a coffee cake,
When I saw a Half-Price sign
Which I assumed was a mistake.


It wasn't, though, because the cakes
And cupcakes on display
All had messages in icing
Saying, "Happy Gobble Day."


In bold oranges and yellows,
Iced-on turkeys were ideal,
Meant to decorate the table
At someone's Thanksgiving meal.


Yet these leftovers were sitting,
Looking lonely and bereft,
'Cause of all the baked selections,
Somehow they alone were left.


For half-off someone will buy them
Though Thanksgiving Day's no more;
But I walked on by, determined
That this discount I'd ignore.


'Cause the holiday is over
And though leftovers are fine,
Buying supermarket rejects
Somehow seems to cross the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment