Monday, August 8, 2011

Tipping the Scale

I saw a baby fox today;
It looked like it had lost its way.
Its mom was nowhere to be seen;
I felt like I should intervene.

Its tail was long; its fur was red.
Its skinny frame looked underfed.
It paced a bit right near the road,
Perhaps in search of its abode.

We drove away and left it there.
It wasn’t that we didn’t care;
But every creature that’s alive
Must learn the know-how to survive.

There’s a reason that each breath
Can tip the scale towards life or death.
Nature pulls the strings, not I,
Deciding who will live or die.

I hope that balance falls in favor
Of that fox, for I would savor
That our lack of enterprise
Did not result in its demise.

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely poem. I like it a lot. Just a question: Why did you start out with "I" and then in the third stanza switch to "We" and then go back to I? Thank you for posting this poem. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello joy! so glad you signed onto my blog. i'm usually more consistent with my pronouns, but in this case, although i was with some family members when i saw the fox, the thoughts associated with wanting to intervene were strictly mine. thanks for your comments, though!

    ReplyDelete