Friday, August 12, 2011

Grandpa's Movies

There I am at three years old,
Showing off my clothes.
Whether that was my idea,
Nobody really knows.

Now I’m on a tricycle
And next I’m in a pool.
There’s my baby brother,
Who just stares and starts to drool.

In those old home movies,
Life looks wonderful and fun –
Families crammed around the table,
Room for everyone.

Aunts and uncles dangle
Niece and nephew on their shoulder;
All the cousins climb
On Grandpa’s lap as they get older.

Grown-ups laugh and drink and smoke
And mouth words we can’t hear;
Yet the family bonds stand out,
So strong and tight and clear.

I’m watching movies decades old,
A glimpse into the past;
Yet I’m here with my aunt and cousin,
So those bonds did last.

I wish that all those long deceased
Were here to reminisce;
‘Cause looking back reminds me
Of the people that I miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment