Monday, June 13, 2016

Juliet's Balcony (Gelato #8)

We hit Verona in the rain
But spirits didn't dampen, so
We walked the marble streets where once
Lived Juliet and Romeo.

The history is everywhere -
In buildings, towers, monuments,
Though fancy modern stores, of course,
Have infiltrated somehow hence.

Gelaterias thrive as well, 
Biscotto was my second pick
With hazelnut (nocciola here);
I savored every single lick.

Our walking tour guide pointed out
A synagogue, a real surprise.
With all the churches I have seen,
This opened up my Jewish eyes.

I also learned that Romeo
And Juliet were likely real.
No matter if they were or not,
Her balcony has mass appeal.

We fought the crowds and snapped the shot,
The words of Shakespeare in my mind,
For lovers always seek the spot
Where true romance has been defined.




No comments:

Post a Comment