Saturday, June 20, 2015

To Beer

My father was my link to beer
And Rheingold was his brew.
That red and white can held the only
Lager that I knew.

As I grew up I switched to wine -
Sangria was in style -
And even learned to like some booze -
Tequila, for a while.

But years ago I drifted back
To early brewski days,
Especially when I discovered
Hoppy IPA's.

Back then, the stores had just a few
So I scoped out my faves.
I tried to spread the word but
Very few confirmed my raves.

Yet happily for me, today,
The craft beer movement's hot 
And with so much to choose from,
There are loads I like a lot.

My dad, if he were still alive,
Would sip and shake his head,
Rejecting all those crafty brews 
For Rheingold-types instead.

But each of us would raise a glass
(Or bottle, can or mug)
And share a father-daughter toast
Before we'd smile and chug.


No comments:

Post a Comment