Thursday, June 11, 2015

Casa Azul

Frida and Diego’s house
Had walls of cobalt blue.
Today it’s a museum and
Their paintings are on view.

I didn’t go to Mexico
To visit their collection,
But at the Garden, got to see
A limited selection.

The cactus plants in ochre pots
Arranged in artful ways
Allowed me to imagine Frida
Living out her days.

Some paintings rounded out the show
And photographs as well,
To place the artists at the site
Where both did work and dwell.

The highlight of the whole display,
Which made me crave much more,
Was all the Frida tchotchkes*
In the Garden’s lovely store.

An orange pot and purple plant
Now grace my windowsill,
Reminding me of Frida –
Very un-run-of-the-mill.

*trinkets, knickknacks

(The New York Botanical Garden
currently has an exhibit about Frida Kahlo
and Diego Rivera’s house, Casa Azul.)

No comments:

Post a Comment