Saturday, February 12, 2011

"The Wizard of Oz"

When I was a kid, just one time every year,
We were glued to the family TV,
For “The Wizard of Oz” was the show being shown
And we loved it, my brothers and me.

Who couldn’t not love it – the scarecrow who just
Would trade all that he had for a brain?
And the tin man, forlorn, who so needed a heart
That he’d track a false promise in vain.

For the cowardly lion, we all felt a pang
‘Cause he, most of all, sure did “desoive”
The knowledge that he was so capable of
Being someone who did have the “noive.”

My daughter just happened to turn the TV
To “The Wizard of Oz” – a surprise;
And I quoted the lines that dear Dorothy said,
Which my brain, sometime, did memorize.

And it brought it all back, the whole childhood routine –
Me, my brothers, my folks and our lives;
Just a statement I quoted with Dorothy Gale
And my youth, what a marvel, survives.

Do children today have that same déjà vu?
They own movies they watch end on end.
I prefer what we had, for our limited views
Made reality really suspend.

No comments:

Post a Comment