Sunday, February 6, 2011

From Scratch

I haven’t baked a cake from scratch
In many many moons;
But something put me in the mood
For measuring cups and spoons.

A recipe had caught my eye
And company’s expected;
So I made sure to gather
The ingredients I’d collected.

I measured, chopped and mixed and stirred;
I greased and then pre-heated.
I followed the directions to a T
And never cheated.

I set the timer – when it rang
The toothpick came out clean.
The cake, once cooled, got drizzled icing
For a lovely sheen.

It looked quite perfect on the plate
But when I had a taste,
I realized all my hours of work
Had really gone to waste.

I could have bought a better cake
Right at the local store.
I’m sure my friends will sample mine
But will not ask for more.

I don’t regret the effort, though;
My baking urge was itchin’.
Next time creative juices flow,
I’ll stay out of the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment