Monday, August 9, 2010

Museum Shop

Whenever I’m in a museum,
Both local and on a vacation,
I have to leave time for the gift shop,
A cannot-miss-out destination.

I skip past the books, though they’re lovely,
And focus on trinkets and stuff:
The postcards and vases and posters;
To choose just one thing’s often tough.

I linger the longest on jewelry:
The earrings, the bracelets, the rings,
The necklaces, watches and brooches –
The promise of joy each one brings.

I don’t always buy, though I want to.
I’m able to sometimes resist;
Though later, at home, I’m regretting
That one special object I missed.

In faraway shops, I’m more likely
To splurge on a sweet souvenir;
It’s hard in a New York museum
To treat myself, when I’m from here.

Yet once in a while, I’m indulgent
And never feel it’s a mistake.
The gift shop inside a museum
Is icing on top of the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment