Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Carrying Water

Years ago, we walked about
In heat, humidity or drought,
And if we felt excessive thirst,
We got a drink and it reversed.

Even in the scorching city,
When you felt so parched and gritty,
Thirsty thoughts would oft persist;
Poland Springs did not exist.

If you were in need of drink,
A soda’d pull you from the brink;
Or some Kool-Aid, served ice-cold
But drunk at home, not as you strolled.

Why then, have things changed so much?
Bottled water’s such a crutch.
Most can’t leave their home without it;
Look around in case you doubt it.

Have our bodies gotten weak
So instant quenching’s what we seek?
Long ago, we could have waited
For our thirst to be abated.

But today, we have to tote
Some water to slide down our throat
In case we feel the slightest thirst –
For goodness, that would be the worst!

I’ve joined the club – my H2O
Is with me everywhere I go.
In some past life, I’ll bet I’ve been
Some version of a Gunga Din!

No comments:

Post a Comment