Friday, November 24, 2023

Underneath the Bed

I needed some storage space so I checked out

The floor underneath the kids’ bed.

It’s a very old bunk but instead of some room,

This is what I encountered instead:


A bag filled with newspapers, all from the date

That announced Mickey Mantle had died;

A plastic container too heavy to lift,

With baseball cards (hundreds!) inside.


From Sesame Street, a stuffed Grover and Bert,

Miss Piggy and Oscar the Grouch,

A Madeline doll and a Raggedy Ann.

(But I swear nothing’s under the couch!)


Several board games and one more big box which contained

Baseballs, batting gloves and souvenirs;

Magazines, ID cards and some photos on which

Someone’s autograph somehow appears.


I moved everything out, tossed some stuff in the trash 

But my kids are now in for a treat,

For I’m taking it all to their houses to make

The space under their beds more complete!




No comments:

Post a Comment