Tuesday, November 21, 2023

If I Can Be So Bold

Thinking of Thanksgiving Day

And its required feast

Makes me think it’s time to say

Which things I like the least.

 

For giving thanks for what we’ve got

Is kind of getting old,

Since there is much we hate a lot,

If I can be so bold.

 

Like a certain politician

Calling his opponents “vermin,”

Reminiscent of the disposition         

Of a certain German.

 

Or protests lately in the news

With hostages forgotten

And blame set only on the Jews,

In speeches misbegotten.

 

Or keeping guns but banning books

And spreading lies much faster

Than it can take to stop the crooks

From causing more disaster.

 

Or watching as our planet aches,

Despite each expert’s warning,

Repeating all those past mistakes,

Preparing us for mourning.

 

I could go on but I will not,

Yet gathered ‘round the table,

I’ll ban these thoughts and find a spot

For thanks, if I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment