Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Shoe Stop!

When day care classes take a stroll,

In line with lime green smocks,

They look so cute while navigating

New York City blocks.

 

With grown-ups at the front and back

And sometimes in-between,

They move along, accustomed to

This urban life routine.

 

Though yesterday, I passed a group

And heard a teacher shout,

“Shoe stop!” and so I turned to see

What that was all about.

 

Apparently, one little boy

Had stepped out of his shoe

And kept on walking, unperturbed,

As children often do.

 

The teacher held the sneaker up;

The kids looked at their feet.

The owner found, the class continued

Marching down the street.

 

The way the kids responded

Told me this was not so rare,

Though hopefully, the kids go home

With both shoes of a pair.

 

This little city sighting,

As I wandered on my way,

Was a tiny taste of urban life

That often makes my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment