Thursday, June 22, 2023

The Real You

On my early morning walks

I dress in workout clothes,

A baseball cap and old wire specs,

For comfort, I suppose.

 

I pass some people every day

Yet there are just a few

With whom I share a smile or wave;

Of names, I have no clue.

 

They must live in the neighborhood,

But never do we meet

Except for when we exercise;

Today, though on the street

 

I passed a walking “friend”

And recognition went both ways.

We laughed and then she said,

“It’s the real you!” and, in her gaze,

 

I understood just what she meant.

With earrings, clogs and jeans

And round blue glasses, I look different

From our morning scenes.

 

Of course, she, too, looked different

But I’m glad we could reveal

To each other that persona

That the world would see as “real.”

No comments:

Post a Comment