Wednesday, June 28, 2023

On the Sidewalk

The homeless guy was stretched out

On the sidewalk, looking dead,

In stocking feet without, much less,

A cushion for his head.

 

The passersby all stopped to look

But then went on their way,

Another small annoyance which

Would mar their busy day.

 

Though I didn’t really want to

Interfere or get involved,

I called the city hotline,

Knowing nothing would be solved.

 

A round of questions followed,

Then they told me help would come.

I walked away for other people

Stayed to beat the drum.

 

A little while later

I passed by that spot again.

No one was on the ground but there

Was no cause for Amen.

 

For there across the street he sat,

Propped up by building bricks,

Not appearing any better,

Just a temporary fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment