Sunday, June 20, 2021

Missing Fathers

My brother called to run by me

Some thoughts about our dad,

To see if mine would sync with

Certain memories he had.

 

He focused on a conversation

When, with lots to drink,

Our dad talked war, a topic

From which he’d most often shrink.

 

My recollection wasn’t clear,

Although it rang a bell

But my bro remembered details

That my father’d rarely tell:

 

Being trapped inside a foxhole

When a sudden sneak attack

Spared my dad but all his fellow troops

Would not be coming back.

 

The remainder of today I spent

With spouse and kids and grands

For a Fathers’ Day that every lucky

Parent understands.

 

But inside my head I thought about

My father and the war

And I wished he had lived long enough

To want to tell me more.

No comments:

Post a Comment