Wednesday, June 23, 2021

40 Years Ago

Today’s the date my son was born,

Though 40 years ago.

I discovered, as a mother,

There was much I didn’t know.

 

The basics – feeding, burping, baths –

It wasn’t hard to learn

And giving love was easy –

I got so much in return.

 

But parenthood means worry

‘Bout a hundred million things

Which can sometimes overshadow

The delight that childhood brings.

 

Still, the passing years have made me

Proud of how my son has grown

And now he can understand, since

He has two kids of his own.

 

I hope that through his worry

He can focus on the joy

That he’s lucky to be getting

From his precious girl and boy.

 

And when it’s been 40 years

Since tiny diapers they have worn,

Like his mom, he will reflect

Upon the days that they were born.


No comments:

Post a Comment