Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Outside My Door

First I heard the rotor blades,
Their noisiness supplanting
The birdsong taking traffic’s place;
Then I heard the chanting.

Peering out the window, I was
Shaken and surprised
To see crowds of people marching;
It was later televised.

Wearing masks and holding placards
They advanced with strong intent,
Linked by youth, resolve and passion
And united in dissent.

Would their peaceful protest shatter
Like the ones the night before
And might looting and destruction
Happen right outside my door?

I was pulled back to the 60’s
When we rallied seeking peace,
So defiant with our armbands,
Facing off against the police.

But this time, in my apartment,
Safe nine stories from the ground,
I looked down in disbelief,
My sadness sweeping and profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment