Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Midnight Protest

Close to midnight, I jolted awake
By the noise only honking horns make
So I ran to look out
To see what was about
And I saw lots of cars, all a’brake.

The cacophony rattled the night,
Joined by sirens en route to the site.
What the protest was for
I assumed was some more
Black Lives Matter folks, showing their might.

It was not until morning, I learned
That the wrath all those honking cars earned
Had a different cause
And it gave me some pause
As it should have to all those concerned.

The protesters were Jews, quite irate
For their neighborhood, many nights straight,
Has been filled with the booms,
Very loud, one assumes,
Of the fireworks dreaming folks hate.

Thus, the point of their clamorous drive
Was from sleep they’d the mayor deprive,
But their plan wasn’t good
So they woke my whole ‘hood
And I got through today half-alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment