Friday, April 3, 2020

A Birthday in Place

Believe it or not, my birthday’s been great
Though not one I would have predicted,
Assuming that I would be down in the dumps
For being so virus-restricted.

My pre-sunrise walk was delightful because
The rain I’d expected held off
And no one I passed on the street came too close
And I heard not a sneeze or a cough.

Before my first coffee, my son and his kids
Called with wishes no money could buy
And my grandson surprised me by writing a poem
Starting, “I love my nana…” Oh, my!

A flurry of phone calls and texts followed suit
Since each person I know’s stuck at home,
All with wishes so special I just don’t have room
To describe them inside of a poem.

There was breakfast and lunch and the governor’s talk
Which inspired a fun-to-do task:
With some quilting material, flowered and green,
I then stitched for myself a new mask!

Creative juice flowed so in place of a cake
I baked cupcakes to mark my big day
And my grandkids, on FaceTime, with very big puffs
Blew the flame on the candle away.

Some long-distance toasts with my aunt and some friends
And then dinner and wine with my spouse
Set my spirits on fire with feelings so strong
It would take more than water to douse.

We may have to adjust in this craziness now
To reality unlike before
But it isn’t all negative for we may find
Unexpected surprises in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment