Monday, May 16, 2016

Purple and Red

A kindergarten memory
I have is very strong
And no one can corroborate
Or prove that I am wrong.

We’re gluing shapes to paper
And two colors we could use.
I look at all the choices
When deciding which to choose.

I proudly pick the purple
And to go with it, the red.
My teacher, though, suggests
I switch to red and blue instead.

Her reasoning is simply that
My colors do not match.
As I remember it, she felt
She’d saved me with her catch.

Imagine if I’d had the guts
To stick with what I liked.
Perhaps when projects came my way
I might’ve been more psyched.

By nullifying what I chose
The teacher, I think, fails,
For all she did was knock the wind
Right out from ‘neath my sails.

An artist I will never be –
Those skills I don’t possess.
Yet red and purple still look good
Together, I profess.

No comments:

Post a Comment