Tuesday, August 11, 2015

My Friend Marilyn

How do you condense a friendship
Spanning fifty years?
Reminiscences crop up
Like dusty souvenirs.

High school first – she twirled, I cheered.
Our lives were parallel;
In different crowds, we really didn’t
Know each other well.

In college, though, we formed a bond
Sorority-invoked
And strengthened through that 60’s life –
We protested and smoked.

We did the Europe backpack scene
And hitchhiked for a spell.
A German guy exposed himself,
So “Ausgang!*” we did yell.

We laughed about it afterwards,
A time we’d not forget,
Experiencing all there was
Outside our safety net.

On coming home we signed a lease
And roommates we became.
I proudly served as maid of honor
When she changed her name.

The intervening years flew by;
We worked, I wed, she split,
Our friendship always something to which
We did both commit.

My confidante and movie pal,
She always played a part
Within my life by being there,
Resounding in my heart.

We go way back – my megaphone
And her with her baton
Have segued to this moment
And I can’t believe she’s gone.

My days will feel much emptier.
I’ll miss her sound advice;
But memories of times we’ve shared
Will have to now suffice.

*literally, “Exit,” meaning - let us out of your car!

No comments:

Post a Comment