Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Doug the Bug - a tale inspired by Dr. Seuss

Another long road trip, with nothing to do.
I stared out the window; the sky was bright blue.

My sister was napping and I was so bored.
I’m such a good kid, I deserve a reward.

My friends have TV’s in their cars in the back
But my parents say, “No, that’s not happening, Jack.

Use this car time to think; there’s so much in your head.
With a screen there, your brain will get lazy instead.”

So I stared at the billboards and let my mind go
‘Til my eye saw some movement and whaddyaknow?

Clinging on to the window, with all of its might
Was a neon-green bug that looked panicked with fright.

Its big eyes were wide open and I understood
That it needed my help so I did what I could.

I cracked open the window and inside it flew,
Landing on my right knee, as I knew it would do.

It gazed up at me, saying, “What took you so long?
I was starting to wonder if I might be wrong.”

Then I glanced at my parents to see if they’d heard.
One was driving, one texting; they said not a word.

“Oh, I’m speaking bug language,” my new friend replied.
“You can hear all my thoughts that I choose to confide.

You can answer me back without speaking out loud.
It’s a talent we share, so we both should be proud.”

“How’d you ever find out I could do what you say?”
I peeked over at Jane – she was sleeping away.

“Oh, we bugs have some powers. I thought you could use
A companion to help entertain and amuse.”

“Well, you’re right,” answered Jack. “What’s your name, little bug?”
“Both my parents say Douglas, but please call me Doug.”

As the miles clicked away, under darkening skies,
Doug the bug treated Jack to the world through his eyes.

All the hours disappeared while an insect and boy
Found so much they could share, which they both did enjoy.

When the car finally stopped, Jane woke up with a start
And their parents turned ‘round, thinking they were so smart.

“See, we knew you’d be fine with your mind as your friend.
Not a peep of complaint from beginning to end.”

“Guess you’re right,” answered Jack. Let them think what they’d think.
But Jane smiled in surprise when Doug gave her a wink.

For the world of a child has some secrets to hide
Which most grown-ups forget, but some bugs may provide.

So the next time you’re bored, try to open your mind
And a bug they call Doug may be what you will find.

(this was written for a contest at PoetrySoup - my goal was to sound Dr. Seuss-ish)

No comments:

Post a Comment