Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Fifty Cents an Hour

When I was a teen, to earn some cash
I babysat at night.
I watched their kids, they drove me home;
It all turned out all right.

My asking price was 50 cents
(An hour) if before
The clock struck midnight; then I could
Request a quarter more.

They often gave a tip besides,
Perhaps an extra buck,
So I could bring 5 dollars home
If I had any luck.

The going rate today, I heard,
Is 12 an hour or more.
The earnings from a single night
Add up to quite a score.

They do not get a bonus, though,
If parents stay out late,
A point of pride when for that raise,
I did negotiate.

1 comment:

  1. that 'quite a score' - well....in your day that 50 cents got you into a movie (or two tickets for a sat. matinee)....today that 12 bucks....gets you into a movie (tho probably not in NYC). relatively, these kids today make about the same...maybe even less...

    ReplyDelete