Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Hardware Man

I walked into the hardware store,
A place I’d never been before,
And knew that I would surely find
Exactly what I’d had in mind.

The narrow aisles were like a maze
Which led to crowded wall displays.
The owner, deep in heavy schmoozing,*
Left me to my own perusing.

Finally, I earned a glance
And asked him if he had, perchance,
A drainage trap or some such thing
To catch a slipped-off wedding ring.

He pointed to a set of shelves
(I guess we had to help ourselves)
And then went back into his chat,
Not budging from the place he sat.

The whole time I was on my search
He prattled from his counter perch,
Not caring if I would prevail
Or even if he’d make a sale.

I found my prize, he named a price
And handed me my merchandise.
His goodbye smile said, “Good for you!
You found it, like I knew you’d do!”

*conversing

No comments:

Post a Comment