Monday, July 1, 2013

The Lottery

As darkness fell, the lights came up;
The stage was filled with dance.
The final night to see the show –
Who knew I’d have the chance?

For Shakespeare in the Park is free,
With tickets handed out
To those who’ve waited hours on line,
No matter what your clout.

But also, there’s a lottery –
You register and wait;
At noon, they let you know online
If somehow, you did rate.

My spouse and I each clicked “Submit”
Each day throughout the run.
My husband also hit the line
Without success – no fun!

But yesterday, on closing night,
His email said “Congrats!”
Like hitting a grand slam behind
A slew of sad at-bats.

The show was magical, with all
The goods to entertain.
The weather gods kept clouds at bay,
Despite the threat of rain.

I’ve never won a lottery
And no, I wouldn’t switch;
For seeing Shakespeare in the Park
Made me feel very rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment