Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Lesson Learned

In my very first apartment,
Found in long-ago December,
Was an A/C in the window,
Which I clearly can remember.

Since the occupant was moving,
She encouraged me to buy it;
But the fifty dollars that she asked –
I couldn’t justify it.

I figured she’d just leave it there,
For she was southern-bound
And surely in her brand-new digs,
An A/C would be found.

But no, she ripped it from the sill
To show me who was boss;
And smack inside of winter’s chill,
I didn’t feel the loss.

I shrugged it off ‘til summer came,
Then I was bathed in sweat;
So thinking back on what I did
Infused me with regret.

For twenty bucks, I bought a fan,
Bemoaning all the while
The fact that for a little more,
I could have cooled in style.

Mistakes allow us to mature
And wisdom may emerge.
The lesson that I learned is that
At times you’ve gotta splurge!

No comments:

Post a Comment