Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sir Paul

I was a “Paul” girl, back in the day;
That’s how we defined ourselves then.
I knew that he’d love me if we’d only met,
But that seemed more an “if” than a “when.”

I never attended a concert of his –
Neither solo nor Beatles nor Wings;
Yet I’m sure I remember the lyrics and tunes
Of the bulk of the songs that he sings.

Since today is his birthday (my brother’s, as well),
I reflect on a very strange fact –
At a recent performance by Sir Paul himself,
The arena was not fully packed.

As time marches on, many young folks don’t care
That the Beatles were practically gods;
So McCartney now plays to a non-sold-out house –
I would never have bet on those odds!

2 comments:

  1. you do owe yourself a ticket to see sir paul while he still tours - you'll have tears in your eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know i should do that. i did see ringo once, with his "all-star band" and he was great, but i wasn't a ringo girl so it wasn't the same...

    ReplyDelete