Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fathers' Day Cards

Fathers’ Day’s around the bend
And so I need a card.
With all the choices, you would think
It wouldn’t be so hard.

My dad is gone but still I buy
A greeting for my spouse.
The cards were so pathetic, though,
I really need to grouse.

The “husband” options either were
Too gushy, fake or sappy,
With poetry inside that sounded
Mawkish and plain crappy.

The “funny” cards made references
To grills or farts or sex;
It’s like the writers had
No witty brain cells they could flex.

To find a simple heartfelt card
I searched through every shelf;
It might just work out better
If I made a card myself.

1 comment:

  1. my mother-in-law has a computer program that allows her to do just that - and i'm sure whatever poem you came up with would just slay all the card companies!

    ReplyDelete