Friday, May 10, 2013

Vanilla Malted


A treat that should be most exalted
Is a real vanilla malted.
Made with ice cream, milk and malt,
It’s oft forgotten, by default.

It must be mixed by a machine
Endemic to the diner scene
And served inside its silver mixer
Meant for holding this elixir.

Pour it in a Coke-shaped glass.
Use a straw (now, don’t be crass!)
Take a sip and be transported
To your childhood days, distorted…

For when seen through such a taste,
Negatives all get erased;
And once you start to reminisce,
You’ll just remember days of bliss.

Today I passed a luncheonette;
It’s been there eighty years, I’ll bet.
I thought of malteds, got the urge –
For $7.50 (!), I could splurge.

Happily, I did indulge
And that is why I here divulge
It’s worth those calories amassed
For that connection to the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment