Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My Daughter's Birthday


Today’s my daughter’s birthday
And it sends me reeling back;
Her life was just a question mark,
A code I’d have to crack.

There were no clues to who she’d be –
How cute or smart or charming,
Or whether there might lurk a problem,
Possibly alarming.

I didn’t know what aptitudes
Were tucked away, unbidden,
Just waiting for the chance to sprout
From where they nestled, hidden.

I can’t remember if I’d thought
Of how she might excel –
And if I didn’t, I suppose
It’s really just as well.

For progeny surprise us –
They unfurl like shiny leaves;
And as they grow, we marvel at
The tricks kept up their sleeves.

And what’s revealed may differ from
Our notions, pre-conceived;
But often, we’re in awe of what
They’ve cleverly achieved.

My daughter’s sharp and funny
And her singing steals the show,
Several pieces of the puzzle
That I pondered long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment