Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Gefilte Fish


The company was wonderful;
The meal was quite delish,
All lovingly prepared except
The jarred gefilte fish.

But certain things you have to have –
Tradition reigns supreme –
And years ago, gefilte fish
Was added to the scheme.

Of course, back then my grandmothers
Prepared it all from scratch.
They started with the pike and whitefish,
Fresh from someone’s catch.

I’ve heard of homes where pike or carp
Would swim around the tub;
Nobody took a bath ‘til grandma
Clunked it with a club.

Now that gefilte fish was great,
‘Cause it was made with love;
The fish in jars is tasteless, yucky, bland –
All the above.

To make it fresh you need much more
Than I have got to give,
And so I serve the bogus stuff –
My guests will all forgive.

The other food was killer
So I really must profess
That, minus homemade fish, our Seder
Was a great success!

3 comments:

  1. there's one brand - i forget the name - as good as nana's - with the jelly and all - maybe 5 ingredients (3 kinds of fish!) - not cheapo! you'd swear you were on glenwood road....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know that manischewitz gold (yes, expensive!) tastes pretty good (didn't see it this year), but nothing like nana's (to me, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this poem, a mutual friend forwarded this to me. By the way, I still make gefilte fish, twice a year, my mother's recipe. Although nowadays, no fish to grind because the fish store does grind it on order. Yes it still takes most of the day to prepare and cook, but it so appreciated by all,
    Sandy L

    ReplyDelete