Thursday, March 7, 2013

After the Play


I entered a contest for plays;
I’d hoped for approval and praise.
            The audience cheered
            And nobody jeered
And I even was given bouquets!

We followed the show with a dinner.
I grinned like the grinniest grinner.
            The feelings that flowed
            And the way that I glowed
Would convince someone I was the winner.

Today they confirmed what I knew –
My chances for glory are through.
            But still, though I lost,
            There were barriers crossed
And I made an impressive debut.

The lesson I learned from this chance
Is that fortunes don’t always advance;
            But if you never try
            You’ll be wondering why
You’re the wallflower watching the dance.

2 comments:

  1. who said the limerick was only for x-rated subjects? that old guy from nantucket can take a hike...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! thanks! i actually love limericks and don't write them often enough...

    ReplyDelete