Monday, December 10, 2012

Ace Shirt Laundry


My grandpa owned a laundry
And my father worked there, too.
A visit from the owner’s kids
Nobody thought taboo.

We rode up on the laundry carts
With giant sacks of clothes.
The workers never seemed to mind –
They couldn’t, I suppose.

The best thing was the Coke machine –
My grandpa had the key,
Which he would use to grab a soda,
Ice-cold, just for me.

I’d place that bottle in the slot;
The cap would click and drop.
I’d gulp that Coca Cola (free!)
And never want to stop.

Though years have passed, I close my eyes
And conjure up that place –
The smell of bleach, the burlap bags,
My grandpa giving chase.

It’s strange how we can focus
On some memories so clear,
While others seem, without a trace,
To up and disappear.

That laundry had a child’s allure.
A visit was a treat;
And thinking of it now, I smile,
The recollection sweet.

2 comments:

  1. and we'd usually see Bozo - and often it was a stop before or after coney island - and don't forget grandpa running his finger around the edge of the bottle before he let you drink it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! of course i remember bozo and the other guy you were afraid of, but i don't remember that about grandpa running his finger around the bottle. also - remember the giant safety pins? i couldn't work that in.

    ReplyDelete