Monday, May 7, 2012

Wishing Coins


In the garden, by the fountain,
I was sitting in a chair.
As the visitors approached,
I saw them hesitate and stare.

For the pool of water glittered
With a sea of silver change.
Not one warning sign was posted,
Which to me was kind of strange.

I imagine out-of-towners
Or some locals on a tour
Make a wish and toss their coins,
Which settle on the fountain floor.

Do these people think their wishes
Have a chance of coming true?
Or is tossing coins in fountains
Just a thing that people do?

If you add up all the money
That museum fountain gleans,
It could really be a fortune;
And I’m curious – who cleans?

But much more, I wonder if the wishers
May be disenchanted
When they realize that their wishes
Somehow never do get granted.

Still, most people think it’s fun
To make a wish and throw a coin;
And if I am honest, I’ll admit
At times I’m apt to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment